[rfk-dev] i'm in my underwear at school

Peter A. H. Peterson pedro at tastytronic.net
Fri Oct 26 12:18:22 PDT 2012

Quoting Leonard Richardson:
> I took a brief look at Alexey's code just now, and I re-affirm my
> desire to go ahead with that ancient plan. Assuming I voted on it in
> the first place.

Great, let's do it. Eric, consider a commit freeze to be in place.
Devteam, hold your horses for a hot minute!

> My preference is to self-host if possible. But as with pretty much any
> RFK decision, I'm happy to go along with whatever is most useful for
> everyone, or whatever is the least work for the people doing the work.

Self hosting and a select group of trusted folks (e.g, the usual gang
of idiots) with a git repo is easy to handle and would be my
preference as well. (I don't want to get into some complicated
permissions/auth system for strangers on my server, but we haven't
really needed that so far.)

So, Eric, it sounds like you can make the merges as you suggested.
When you're ready, let me know and I will get the repo from you and
set it up at robotfindskitten.org.

The last open item of business of which I am aware is about how to
handle a situation where the external NKI file is not available.

The original thread starts here:
http://robotfindskitten.org/pipermail/rfk-dev/2005-October/000545.html

And goes to about here, where leonardr makes some good suggestions:
http://robotfindskitten.org/pipermail/rfk-dev/2005-October/000562.html

Basically the main thing is that we want the game to be playable
if there is no NKI file installed. One suggestion was to have the "RFK
Classic" NKI included in the binary, but that limits the ability
to have a completely* "re-themed" rfk experience (e.g., if you have a
geology themed NKI file, things about Moebius strips and Tacqueria el
Ranchito will still be appearing).

Leonard's suggestion was to have, in the event of no NKIs, messages
describing the NKI format and where they could be placed, a la
Nethack fortunes. I think this is a great idea.

Does this still sound good to everyone?

Thanks again,

Peter

* where completely still includes robot and kitten, of course.

--
Peter A. H. Peterson
Graduate Student Researcher