[rfk-dev] i'm in my underwear at school

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Fri Oct 26 12:26:44 PDT 2012

Peter A. H. Peterson <pedro at tastytronic.net>:
> So, Eric, it sounds like you can make the merges as you suggested.
> When you're ready, let me know and I will get the repo from you and
> set it up at robotfindskitten.org.

Yoicks!  Please let's *not* do the git transition and the rehosting in
one fell swoop.  Painful past experience with similar transition tells
me this is a Bad Idea.

> The last open item of business of which I am aware is about how to
> handle a situation where the external NKI file is not available.
>
> The original thread starts here:
> http://robotfindskitten.org/pipermail/rfk-dev/2005-October/000545.html
>
> And goes to about here, where leonardr makes some good suggestions:
> http://robotfindskitten.org/pipermail/rfk-dev/2005-October/000562.html
>
> Basically the main thing is that we want the game to be playable
> if there is no NKI file installed. One suggestion was to have the "RFK
> Classic" NKI included in the binary, but that limits the ability
> to have a completely* "re-themed" rfk experience (e.g., if you have a
> geology themed NKI file, things about Moebius strips and Tacqueria el
> Ranchito will still be appearing).
>
> Leonard's suggestion was to have, in the event of no NKIs, messages
> describing the NKI format and where they could be placed, a la
> Nethack fortunes. I think this is a great idea.
>
> Does this still sound good to everyone?

Sounds good to me.

But again, *one thing at a time*. Please!

Let's do the git transition first, on SourceForge.  It will make
both of the later steps (rehosting and getting the NKI rewrite right)
easier.