[rfk-dev] folding in NKIs from the inform edition

David Griffith dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu
Wed Oct 31 17:27:22 PDT 2012

When I made my Inform6 edition of robotfindskitten, I roughly doubled the
count of NKIs as were inherited from the standard NKI list.  Would there
be any objection to folding those into the mix?  One potential problem
pointed out to me is this one:

   "Clang, clang, clang goes the tranny!"

This is a fractured lyric from "The Trolley Song" from the film "Meet Me
in St Louis".  I was driving somewhere with a friend of mine when my foot
slipped off the clutch and the transmission made a clanging sound.  A
friend who was with me at the time sang this fractured lyric to joke about
my mistake.

The concern pointed out to me is that this usage of the word "tranny"
might be offensive to transexuals.  This same friend of mine is fairly
well-learned in the GLBT lore, so I asked him.  He replied with a confused
"Well, it depends on how politically correct you want to be.".  So, here's
the question: should it stay or go?

--
David Griffith
dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu