[rfk-dev] folding in NKIs from the inform edition

Peter A. H. Peterson pedro at tastytronic.net
Wed Oct 31 18:20:42 PDT 2012

Quoting David Griffith:
> When I made my Inform6 edition of robotfindskitten, I roughly doubled the
> count of NKIs as were inherited from the standard NKI list.  Would there
> be any objection to folding those into the mix?

I actually spent a little bit of time on this today, but set it aside
to do some work.

I think that we should definitely fold as many of the Inform NKI into
the official distribution as the group approves. I think that many of
them are really fantastic -- some of my favorites.

However, and I feel a little awkward saying this, I think that if I
had gotten all of those NKI out of the blue as submissions, I would
probably cull a number of them for various reasons. I'm not thinking
of the Clang NKI actually, just more editorial choices of the type we
have been discussing today.

I feel like I should add here that curating/editing of the NKI list
has always been done. It's not obvious at this point in history, but
Leonard originally collected NKI ideas from friends (including me) and
he picked the ones that he thought were good, and left the others on
the cutting room floor. In the 2000s, when we started rfk.org, we
roughly doubled the list of NKI, but this was through the submissions
of upwards of 10 people -- and there were ones that didn't make the
cut then, as well.

Since you wrote the Inform port yourself, it was obviously completely
within your purview to add whatever NKI you wanted. However, before
folding them into the POSIX edition I think we should review them in
some manner. I could attach a list of all of them and we could pull
our favorites (let me know -- I made such a list today), and/or you
could submit the ones that you think are best, etc. (I don't think we
should discuss them one at a time like I have been doing today.)

Again and as always: the choice is not just up to me. I would
really like to see the best of the Inform NKI included in the Mayan
Apocalypse release, but there are so many of them I think we have to
have some way to chip away at it.

Thoughts?

-pedro

--