[rfk-dev] folding in NKIs from the inform edition

Steve Pomeroy steve at staticfree.info
Mon Nov 5 18:32:02 PST 2012

On 2012-11-05 18:07, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> There's a way to do cross-repo reference links in git, but I've
> never used it and don't know how robust it is.  I found a description here:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2140985/setup-a-git-external-for-remote-repo

I use git submodules extensively for some of my more recent projects. It
works and is built into git, but is a bit clunky at times (mostly in
getting started with it and that some parts aren't as automatic as they
probably should be). I'd say it makes sense for this application -
especially as it's not needed for those who can't figure out how to use
it (they can just download the file).

> Or we just write a commit hook that publishes the NKI file to a web-visible
> location whenever it's updated.

Perfect.

>> As a somewhat orthogonal question, if we had a hypothetical git repo of
>> *all* ports, is there a way that someone could clone just the port
>> they are interested in?
>
> I don't know of a way to do that.

From my [rough] understanding of how git works, I don't think that's
possible. As it deals with patches which could technically span multiple
objects, I presume that one would still need to clone the whole repo to
get just a subpath. This is most likely why big projects use multiple
repositories to manage logical components - to make things more manageable.

-Steve