[rfk-dev] folding in NKIs from the inform edition

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Mon Nov 5 15:07:16 PST 2012

Peter A. H. Peterson <pedro at tastytronic.net>:
> I do like the idea of all willing/able ports sharing a single source
> NKI file. I think the status quo will (continue to) lead to ports with
> out of date NKI lists.
>
> Is there a way that a file could be in multiple repositories in a sensible
> way? I'm thinking maybe with links or with nested repos or something?

There's a way to do cross-repo reference links in git, but I've
never used it and don't know how robust it is.  I found a description here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2140985/setup-a-git-external-for-remote-repo

> Or, the build process for all ports (including POSIX) could include
> the NKIs as a dependency (e.g., the build script could pull the
> current one from the website for that matter). Perhaps in this world
> the NKI list(s) themselves would have their own repo.

Or we just write a commit hook that publishes the NKI file to a web-visible
location whenever it's updated.

> As a somewhat orthogonal question, if we had a hypothetical git repo of
> *all* ports, is there a way that someone could clone just the port
> they are interested in?

I don't know of a way to do that.

> FYI -- My workload is heavy right now, so my responses may be a bit
> slower for a while.

I'm about to become mostly unavailable for a week myself.  Traveling -
guest-of-honor gig at an SF convention in Chicago.