[rfk-dev] folding in NKIs from the inform edition

Peter A. H. Peterson pedro at tastytronic.net
Tue Nov 6 07:23:33 PST 2012

Quoting Steve Pomeroy:
> On 2012-11-05 18:07, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > There's a way to do cross-repo reference links in git, but I've
> > never used it and don't know how robust it is.  I found a description here:
> >
> > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2140985/setup-a-git-external-for-remote-repo
>
> > Or we just write a commit hook that publishes the NKI file to a web-visible
> > location whenever it's updated.
>
> Perfect.

So, is the idea here that the port writers would be encouraged to grab
it for their own packaging? Or is there some kind of automatic
mechanism for incorporating the NKI list that I'm not grokking? Either
way, I expect to have the NKI list in a prominent, web-accessible
location. If port writers wanted to even grab it live (hopefully
keeping a cached version somewhere!) I'm fine with that.

Another possibility would be that the NKI editor (Leonard or myself
probably) would get commit access for any participating port and would
push the new list into the new locations directly.

> >> As a somewhat orthogonal question, if we had a hypothetical git repo of
> >> *all* ports, is there a way that someone could clone just the port
> >> they are interested in?
> >
> > I don't know of a way to do that.
>
> From my [rough] understanding of how git works, I don't think that's
> possible.

Yeah... so, for this reason I think that multiple, parallel repos,
each sourcing the same NKI file in some way is preferable to one giant
repo with everything in it.

--
Peter A. H. Peterson
Graduate Student Researcher