[rfk-dev] Request For Comment: robotfindskitten standard

Peter A. H. Peterson pedro at tastytronic.net
Wed Jun 10 18:30:00 PDT 2009

Quoting Leonard Richardson:
> My semi-canon pronouncements:
>
> 1. It's fine to make sure kitten can be found--more generally, that no
> NKI is generated inaccessible. If I'd had the skills I would have put
> this in the original version.

Sounds good. I'll change it so that this is an optional feature.

> 2. I never capitalize 'robot' or 'kitten', but I don't think it
> matters a whole lot.

Ok. Of course none of this is life or death. But if there are no
objections, I'm going to leave these as MUSTs and try to bring things
(the site, POSIX, and the std.) into line.

> 4. I think the only necessary part of the ending is the "Way to go,
> robot!" message.

Ok. Do people think the animation should be a SHOULD or an OPTIONAL?

> 3. I'm a strong believer in robotfindskittenlike games that don't
> exactly implement the spec, and I don't want the spec to scare people
> off from writing such games.
>
> 5. In general, I think lots of details of the interface--whether the
> whole field must be visible, where the message goes, what happens when
> the screen shrinks, etc. are accidentals of the first rfk and not
> essentials. I think the essentials are that robot wanders around,
> encountering nki, and eventually finds kitten.

I do agree with both of these, and for the record, the standard is as
much a joke as it is seriousness. If I seem way too into this, it's
because I'm actually entertained by standards, as weird as that is...
so I thought it would be funny to create a one for rfk. It's actually
funnier to me because rfk is so simple and whimsical. I'd like to be
able to quote a standard when I tell people it's not supposed to be
"Robot Finds Kitten".

But perhaps in order to be less pedantic and intimidating, many of the
MUSTs should be changed to be SHOULDs or MAYs. It would obviously be a
shame if anyone was put off from creating a port (even a "bad" one)
because of the standard. For that matter, if people are put off by
even the idea of an rfk standard, please speak up.

Peter

PS:  I can also add a section to specifically encourage other
robotfindskittenlikes and Zen simulations in general.