[rfk-dev] Request For Comment: robotfindskitten standard

Leonard Richardson leonardr at segfault.org
Wed Jun 10 16:39:09 PDT 2009

My semi-canon pronouncements:

1. It's fine to make sure kitten can be found--more generally, that no
NKI is generated inaccessible. If I'd had the skills I would have put
this in the original version.

2. I never capitalize 'robot' or 'kitten', but I don't think it
matters a whole lot.

3. I'm a strong believer in robotfindskittenlike games that don't
exactly implement the spec, and I don't want the spec to scare people
off from writing such games.

4. I think the only necessary part of the ending is the "Way to go,
robot!" message.

5. In general, I think lots of details of the interface--whether the
whole field must be visible, where the message goes, what happens when
the screen shrinks, etc. are accidentals of the first rfk and not
essentials. I think the essentials are that robot wanders around,
encountering nki, and eventually finds kitten.

Leonard