[rfk-dev] Request For Comment: robotfindskitten standard

Peter A. H. Peterson pedro at tastytronic.net
Wed Jun 10 14:39:50 PDT 2009

Quoting Steve Pomeroy:
> On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 11:59:19PM -0700, Peter A. H. Peterson wrote:
> > Again, I welcome comments until we feel it is solid enough to let it
> > stand on it's own. And then we submit it to the IETF.
>
> §5.2 states that the terms 'robot' and 'kitten' MUST follow the same
> character rules as defined in §5.1, which states, "This is true even if
> ’robotfindskitten’ is the start of a sentence and would otherwise be
> capitalized in English."
>
> However the canonical Instruction Screen as defined in §8 uses the text,
> "Robot must touch items to determine if they are kitten or not." which
> violates §5.1 as applied to the terms defined in §5.2. Should the
> instruction text be corrected or should the rule be modified?

That's really interesting, and I totally missed it. I guess we need to
have a consensus about whether we should capitalize "robot" and
"kitten" at the beginning of a sentence as per the earlier problem.

To clarify, the question is: is it ever OK to capitalize "robot",
"kitten", or "robotfindskitten"?

What do you guys think? Leonard, do you have an opinion on this
matter? It's possible that I over-applied the capitalization rule
according to my preferences.

Peter

--
Peter A. H. Peterson, technician and musician.
 ---=[ http://tastytronic.net/~pedro/ ]=---