[rfk-dev] Request For Comment: robotfindskitten standard

Nathanial Hendler nathanhendler at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 15:14:01 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 11:59 PM, Peter A. H.
Peterson<pedro at tastytronic.net> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Attached is a draft for a proposed standard for robotfindskitten Zen
> simulation environments. While I've attempted to make it fairly
> comprehensive, it is still a draft and I'm interested in any comments.

I don't like 10.2.2 rule 2.  I think a programmatic mechanism to
prevent kitten from being unattainable should be considered ok.  I'm
ok with either style of game-play, but if I had to specify one as a
MUST, I'd say that the kitten MUST be attainable.

Regarding 9.1.1 (Success Message), I don't think the animation should
be a SHOULD.  I agree with the "way to go" message, but I think the
animation is not critical to the zen simulation, and if anything,
feels less-zen than the simple message.  I don't like the animation.
There, I said it.  Not that it's too cutesy, just that it suggests a
relationship or story between robot and kitten that I think should be
left to the player in order to fit into my idea of a zen simulator.
If I was writing this doc, I would have said, "MUST NOT" contain the
animation, but I'm willing to meet in the middle and leave it out.

Ok, those are my two cents.