[rfk-dev] Remove NKI: Roger Avery, persona un famoso de los Estados Unidos.

Peter A. H. Peterson pedro at tastytronic.net
Wed Oct 31 17:54:51 PDT 2012

Quoting Tim Allen:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 09:03:06AM -0700, Peter A. H. Peterson wrote:
> > Remove:
> > Roger Avery, persona un famoso de los Estados Unidos.
> >
> > Rationale:
> > Obscure private in-joke that I added and no longer think is funny or
> > interesting.
>
> Not being American, there's a *lot* of NKIs I don't really "get". When
> I find one I get a little bit disappointed because I was hoping for
> a small nugget of zen and instead I get nothing: I don't see the
> contradiction or association between the name and whatever action or
> item is depicted.

Just as an interjection, I don't think that every NKI needs to be
clever -- that is a theme in and of itself, so I think that "boring"
NKI are good too, within reason.

Your explanation about your reaction to it is interesting; you may be
interested to know that the Roger Avery of that NKI is actually *not*
the famous one, who I only discovered later. The Roger Avery in
question isn't actually a real person, it's sort of a friend's
imaginary friend, or something.

> I agree that the NKI as-is should probably go, but whether it's removed
> entirely or just has the name changed to something suitably nondescript,
> I don't mind.

I'll probably just yank it since it reads like a vanity NKI (which it
was, in a way). But if people want to keep it and/or change the name,
they should speak up.

--
Peter A. H. Peterson
Graduate Student Researcher