[rfk-dev] Remove NKI: Roger Avery, persona un famoso de los Estados Unidos.

Tim Allen screwtape at froup.com
Wed Oct 31 16:54:08 PDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 09:03:06AM -0700, Peter A. H. Peterson wrote:
> Remove:
> Roger Avery, persona un famoso de los Estados Unidos.
>
> Rationale:
> Obscure private in-joke that I added and no longer think is funny or
> interesting.

Not being American, there's a *lot* of NKIs I don't really "get". When
I find one I get a little bit disappointed because I was hoping for
a small nugget of zen and instead I get nothing: I don't see the
contradiction or association between the name and whatever action or
item is depicted.

However, this one seems a little different. As best as I can make out,
the description is claiming that this guy is famous, but the very fact
that I need to be told he's famous undermines that claim. I can
appreciate that contradiction, so it at least works as an NKI on some
level.

That said, Wikipedia tells me that there really is a moderately famous
person by the name of Roger Avery, so anyone who's actually heard of him
probably reads that NKI without noticing the potential contradiction.

I agree that the NKI as-is should probably go, but whether it's removed
entirely or just has the name changed to something suitably nondescript,
I don't mind.