[rfk-dev] folding in NKIs from the inform edition

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sat Nov 3 09:36:59 PDT 2012

Peter A. H. Peterson <pedro at tastytronic.net>:
> Quoting Eric S. Raymond:
> > I have a slightly different concern.  I would like the ports to be
> > refactored so there is just one NKI file in the distribution that all
> > of them use.  In some cases this might involve writing machinery to
> > massage it into native string-array initializers.
>
> I have a slightly different concern relating to your concern.
>
> Are you proposing to create a Grand Unified Source Tree of all the
> "ports"?  With a build system to "build" any/all of the ports from the
> single tree?

Not necessarily  of all the ports, but of all the ports that opt in by
joining their histories to the repo.  Presently that's just the palmos
and inform ports.  I do think it would be good if more ports joined the
master repo, but obviously that choice is up to the port maintainers.

I also don't have any particular issue with each port directory having its
own build recipe.  I do want to get to where all the in-tree build recipes
use the same master NKI file.  Otherwise we could have port maintainers
doing good work on adding and fixing NKIs that doesn't get shared across
the in-tree ports, which I think would be regrettable.