[rfk-dev] NKI filetype

Tim Allen screwtape at froup.com
Thu Aug 20 15:56:01 PDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 10:07:13AM -0400, Thomas Thurman wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions or enhancements?

A standard NKI interchange format sounds pretty useful, however:

    - Why no magic number? It wouldn't hurt to spec that the first line
      be something like "# robotfindskitten NKI file v1.0".

    - Your text about importing NKIs into an internal database then
      deleting the input file seems a little port-specific. For example,
      the POSIX port would probably want all NKI files dumped into
      /usr/share/games/robotfindskitten/nki.d/ and would just read them
      at startup.

    - The ambiguity of "\r\n" or "\n" line-endings grates (especially
      since I discovered there are even more line-ending control-codes
      in Latin-1 and hence Unicode). In practice, I suspect 'read until
      \n then trim white-space' will be what most people will do.