[rfk-dev] code status

Alexey Toptygin alexeyt at freeshell.org
Thu Oct 13 15:38:03 CDT 2005

Sorry for not posting anything in a while. I've put out a new release of
my rfk source. You can get it here:

http://alexeyt.freeshell.org/code/rfk/rfk-20051013.tgz

It adresses the randomization efficiency issue Leonard pointed out.

It also adds back the "You found kitten..." message that was in the
original sources. I didn't have it in initially since the message isn't
visible in terminals that have the smcup/rmcup capabilities (i.e. xterm)
so I didn't realize I was missing anything.

Also, the number pad now works with NumLock both on and off (which is an
improvement over the original source).

I've changed all of the headers to say "EXISTENCE OF KITTEN", like Leonard
suggested.

I've also added a manpage, and fixed a bug in the bogus item init code
that could cause 2 bogus items to appear in the same place (effectively
reducing the number of bugus items). Finally, I tweaked the signedness of
some int types, as appropriate.

As far as Debian packaging goes, I'm not a registered debian developer
yet, so maintainership hasn't been handed over to me. I'm planning on
doing that in the same time frame as Debianizing the new code base, which
is some time after Autoconf support (Real Soon Now (TM)). I'm sorry about
the slow pace of the work, but I've got a full-time job, and I'm trying
to finish my bachelor's degree this semester (and I'm moving into a new
house this month), so I hope you'll forgive me :-)

Lastly, people have been talking about putting the vanilla NKIs back into
the binary. I don't really want to do this, as getting rid of this was
half of the reason I started rewriting RFK in the first place. If the
concensus weighs in the other direction, however, we could add that in as
a compile-time option (so that NKIs would come from the binary,
SYSTEM_NKI_DIR _and_ ~/.robotfindskitten). I guess deciding this is up to
the community.

 			Alexey