[rfk-dev] Announcement of a new 2d RFK project.

Matt DeMoss mdemoss@uark.edu
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 00:37:58 -0500

I'd like to announce that I am working on another version of RFK.

It will be another 2d incarnation, I'll be using the Allegro library.
Allegro should make porting easy. I'm making this version to introduce a
few new features I have in mind. Most importantly, I plan to allow for
fields of play larger than the screen. I'll be implementing some sort of
smooth scrolling to allow for this. Also, I'd like to throw a
text-to-speech engine in there to say NKI text aloud. I'm also
considering other ways to get sound into the game. As for the play area
being larger than the screen, I plan to make the size of that area and
the number of NKIs selectable by the user. Hopefully I will be able to
accomodate gigantic kitten seeking expeditions on very large play
fields. Perhaps the ability to save the player's progress will be
needed. I liked the way the 3d RFK played, and I think I want to bring
some of that into a 2d version.

Anyway, I've started on it, and I think I'll finish sometime this
summer, finals week is fast approaching, after all.