[rfk-dev] Find kitten on old computers lurking in your closet!

Leonard Richardson leonardr@gogol.humnet.ucla.edu
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 07:58:46 -0700 (PDT)

> Well, I thought this was a good idea, but since you specifically noted
> on crummy the sucking lack of feedback, I'll publicly state my
> opinion:
	Ah, the bully pulpit works! :) Seriously, I figured people would
respond soon enough. Glad you like the idea.

> Another idea would be to go back to the 1996 DOS set of NKI and just
> leave the Extended NKI set out.

	Also a good idea. I just gzipped the original list of 200 NKIs to
4775 bytes, which might be enough to put RFK on an 8k Atari cartridge (not
that I know anything about Atari programming, but I'm sure you'd have to
define the character set yourself, so you could pick a four-bit set
covering " .,'- and the capital letters).

	A lot of my argument for a separate set of short NKIs may be
motivated by the fact that I that I subconsciously want RFK on the Atari
2600 to stylistically resemble an old 2600 game, which means never using a
sentence when you could use one or two words. Of course, the reason they
did that in the first place was to save memory.

Leonard
NKI: "Somehow, this tiny bee is as large as that elephant!"