[rfk-dev] Change NKI: Kitten is the letter 'Q'. Oh, wait, maybe not.

Tim Allen screwtape at froup.com
Wed Oct 31 16:17:31 PDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 09:12:56AM -0700, Peter A. H. Peterson wrote:
> I feel somewhat mixed about this but I'm suggesting it anyway.
>
> Change: Kitten is the letter 'Q'.  Oh, wait, maybe not.
> To: A hastily scribbled note reads: "Kitten is the letter Q!"
>
> Rationale: I like the original, but I think something more narrative
> would be more satisfying.

I could be wrong, but I think this is the first NKI I've come across
that explicitly acknowledges that the things robot interacts with are
actually letters, rather than objects whose position is marked with some
symbol on the map in robot's head.

I would rather keep up the pretence that kitten is an actual kitten by
saying "...hiding under the letter Q" or "...disguised as the letter Q",
or something else like that.