[rfk-dev] Getting this train moving

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Oct 31 03:36:30 PDT 2012

It's been quiet on the list; perhaps Hurricane Sandy drove everyone
into Internetless bunkers.

I have attempted to resolve most of the issues brought up on the list
with the new code.  Here is the state of play:

1. I have removed color messages, they're now black-and-white again. The
ergonomics of some of those color combinations just didn't work, and I
saw no point in adding an option to enable a misfeature.

2. X and x exit keys are no more, following list discussion.

3. Code now complains and exits gracefully when no NKIs are found. There
was some talk of wiring in defaults, but I think the minimalist approach
is effective and more in conformance with rfk style.

4. New major version number is now 'e' (2.7182818), making the sequence
monotonic-increasing. Policy will be for the minor number to be a count
of shipped APIs.

5. The playfield frame has been retained, as unclepedro said he was
"warming up to it" and other reaction seemed favorable.

6. The obsolete comment text someone pointed out has been removed.

Issues *not* resolved:

A. Behavior on resize is somewhat wonky.

B. The "You found kitten! Way to go, robot!" message only shows if you
set term=VT100, and does so after curses mode has been exited.

C. The two very oldest versions have not yet been merged into the repo.

Have I missed anything?