[rfk-dev] Ports in New Repot?

Peter A. H. Peterson pedro at tastytronic.net
Fri Oct 26 15:50:25 PDT 2012

Quoting Eric S. Raymond:
> Nathanial Hendler <nathanhendler at gmail.com>:
> > Is there any plan/desire to give ports a home in the new repot?  I am
> > curious if this has been considered and decided one way or the other,
> > or if it's just an obviously bad idea.
>
> I haven't deleted any of the port directories from CVS.

We'll need to discuss this down the road. Hosting the POSIX git repo
at rfk.org is easy since the necessary people mostly have shell
access -- I know most of them personally. So making commits is
straightforward.

On the other hand, most ports do not have a lot of updates, and they
are mostly made by people I don't know... so it's been good enough to
host stable versions at rfk.org and let developers find their own
repo. The few ports that were incorporated into the SF repo were done
early on and mostly forgotten.

I'm inclined to keep going this way, because I don't want to give
shell access to everyone who makes a port. However, if there's a
stable and well-regarded software package to manage git access in a
useful way I would be open to hosting it.

If there isn't such a package, and port authors really want git repos
associated directly with the consortium, then we should think about
something like github or whatever the shiny git host is these days.

-pedro

--
Peter A. H. Peterson
Graduate Student Researcher