[rfk-dev] i'm in my underwear at school

Peter A. H. Peterson pedro at tastytronic.net
Fri Oct 26 11:25:19 PDT 2012

Quoting Eric S. Raymond:
> Peter A. H. Peterson <pedro at tastytronic.net>:
> > How does everyone feel about this? In theory at least, we did agree to
> > move forward with Alexey's code years ago. So I vote in favor of it
> > unless there are any new (or old) reservations.
>
> I'll do the merge work - I have a *lot* of experience at this sort of thing
> and in general at making VCSes do tricks. It won't take long.
>
> However, this does mean I'd need to request a freeze on new commits until we
> get the new git repo in place...

This sounds fine to me, but I'd really like to hear from Leonard or
someone else who has been around a while before you put more work into
it. Are we cool with moving ahead on our 7 year old plan? :}

Also, as far as the git hosting question goes... what do people think?
I really don't have a lot of experience with what would be best for a
public project.

Should we just host the master branch at robotfindskitten.org and
have trusted users apply patches locally? Ryan Finnie, the Debian
maintainer already has a shell account here, so that's not a problem.
(And as you know, our release rate is low.)

But if people would rather have something more fully featured like
GitHub or something, I really don't have a preference. For that
matter, we could just switch to using git at Sourceforge... but my
feeling is that Sourceforge is kind of a hassle for what we get out of
it.

Thoughts?

--
Peter A. H. Peterson