[rfk-dev] segfaults and other crashes in 32-bit mode

David Griffith dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu
Thu Nov 8 23:03:47 PST 2012

As of the latest git (42bc0c234cf3e71a8f02849e073da502f8be1e5e) and even
before I commited anything to the codebase besides the Inform edition
robotfindskitten will crash like this:

marvin:~/proj/rfk-git$ src/robotfindskitten
*** glibc detected *** src/robotfindskitten: free(): invalid next size
(fast): 0x08cf38e0 ***
[lots of crap deleted]

In the function read_messages() is a for loop that starts like this:
   for ( i = 0; environ[i]; i++ ) {

That loop is for processing NKIs presented in $HOME/.robotfindskitten.  If
that for loop is commented out, we can proceed to a segfault that happens
when init() makes a call to start_color().

None of these problems happen on an AMD64 machine, just x86 (ia32, etc).
Does anyone here know what's going wrong and how to fix it?

--
David Griffith
dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu