[rfk-dev] I'll make a new vanilla NKI list

Peter A. H. Peterson pedro at tastytronic.net
Tue Nov 6 07:18:17 PST 2012

Quoting David Griffith:
> On Mon, 5 Nov 2012, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > Peter A. H. Peterson <pedro at tastytronic.net>:
> >> Quoting Stephen:
> >>
> >> It's not that it's hard, but I'm just not sure it's worth it.
> >
> > I think it isn't.
> >
> > But while we're talking new features, I have one in mind.  How about an
> > object that, when the robot bumps it, teleports him to a random (empty)
> > location?  Would be easy to do...
>
> Easy to do, but I think it would overly complicate things.

Yeah. I think that one of the great things about robotfindskitten is
it's bone simplicity. Both of those suggestions are "interesting", but
they add a certain overhead to the mechanics that is unnecessary.
It's gilding the lily, it's feeping creatureism, it's New Coke. It
also makes port writing more complicated (again, not by much, but it
does). So I think not, and probably not to almost any mechanic change
I can imagine.

That said, one thing we haven't gotten a lot of over the years is
"reimaginings" of robotfindskitten. I think that motivated people
could submit their own versions, which could be "POSIX remixes" (or
whatever) incorporating features like teleporting, moving NKI,
repeated meta NKI, permadeath, identification mini-games, a complete
email reader, rocket launchers, dowsing, bitcoin prizes, etc. I'd be
happy to post those in a new section on the site.