[rfk-dev] Moving off SourceForge

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sat Nov 3 09:16:48 PDT 2012

Peter A. H. Peterson <pedro at tastytronic.net>:
> Quoting Eric S. Raymond:
> > There has been some talk of moving the project off SourceForge.
> > On reflection, I don't think I understand why.  In what respects
> > does SourceForge seem to be a bad fit?
>
> There's no great pressure to do so.
>
> My motivation for doing so is that since most of the activity happens
> on rfk.org, and we archive source code there as a record of all
> rfkiana, sourceforge tends to become a bit forgotten.

I think this calls for a change in mental habits.  The git repo is your
master record of rfkiana now, both code and NKIs.  It will become even more
definitively so when I fold in the two ancient releases and the Inform port.

>                                                  It's also a
> dependency on the project that generally serves little purpose other
> than providing CVS.

You're forgetting mailing lists.  And the bugtracker.  Forges really do
serve purposes that aren't met by a bare repo - I think you're dismissing
SF too quickly.

>               We forget our logins and then must go through
> recovery processes. We have to wait 5 seconds to download tarballs
> while looking at ads.

In the brave new git world, you may never log into SF again, nor download
a tarball.  git clone is your friend!  It makes these impediments go away.

> On the other hand, by setting up a community rcs at rfk.org, we keep
> everything under one roof, in one place. It's just cleaner and
> streamlines the processes of updating code and/or including new ports.

The process of updating code and/or including new ports is now "git push",
and it matters little where the repo is actually located.  That being the
case, I don't see any case for moving it. Doing so would violate the
expectations of people who come to SF expecting to find code.