[rfk-dev] androidfindskitten

Steve Pomeroy steve at staticfree.info
Thu Jun 4 14:05:32 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 01:32:01PM -0700, Peter A. H. Peterson wrote:
> Quoting Harry J Mason:
> > I can't think of any attributes which could be added to an NKI which would
> > preserve the robotfindskitten-nature of the application. Nevertheless:
>
> I certainly was not suggesting that any metadata would appear in the
> game, for the record. The only reason metadata would matter for
> clients is for NKI synchronization. But I think that for now we're all
> happy with using a flat list, gzip, and a timestamp.
>
> I am personally leaning towards just using plain text and gzip for the
> standard output format. Nice and simple.

That said, there is some value in adding simple metadata about the
list/package. At the very least, it'd allow a friendly name and the name
of the list author for each list (I'm imagining a list of NKI items in a
GUI that you can select from. Maybe with a detail view to see who's
responsible for the NKI list about rare cheeses).  I'd say something
simple akin to HTTP headers:

For example:
------- cut ----
Key: value
key2: value2

nki1
nki2
nki3
------ cut -----

A validating header regexp would be: ^[a-zA-Z][a-zA-Z0-9-]*: *(.*)$
And all keys would be case-insensitive, but would be suggested to be
transmitted in Title-Case.

Keys to start could be: Title, Author, Soup

Also, I'd leave off the gzip and let the HTTP layer negotiate that. I'm
thinking of a javascript client here, where it'd be impractical to have
an ungzipper.

--
Steve Pomeroy
http://staticfree.info/