[rfk-dev] updates

Alexey Toptygin alexeyt at freeshell.org
Fri Sep 2 01:47:47 CDT 2005

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Jeremy Penner wrote:

> Supposedly it handles screen resizing, but I don't know if the NKIs move
> around too, then.

It doesn't do anything fancy. If you make the screen larger, nothing
really happens. If you make the screen smaller than the starting size, the
game bitches at you untill you make it larger. I'd like to do something
more interesting, but I think moving the NKIs around might be a tad
confusing.

> screen_objects should really be passed around by reference rather than value;
> it'd let you implement a proper screen_object_move function, for one thing.
> (The original failed to do this, too.)

I don't know why you'd want a screen_object_move function, since the only
thing that moves is robot (aside from the animation). Anyway,
screen_objects are only passed into objcmp (which is inline, so it doens't
matter) and draw (which I've changed to take a pointer; this might be more
efficient...)

> The way NKIs are randomized precludes you from playing more than one
> game without reloading the file.

Well, the way I see it, you only get one game per program invocation, and
you need to re-read the NKI files every time the program is restarted...
I broke randomizing out anyway, since it makes the below changes to
message reading simpler. If we come up with a multi-game mode later, it
will be possible to just call randomize_messages() again.

> The file loading routine is kind of ugly, in that it's constantly
> freeing and mallocing a buffer, assumes UNIX line breaks, and doesn't
> deal well with NKIs over 160 (IIRC) characters long.

Fixed, fixed, and fixed.

> I haven't actually compiled and played it, and so I'm not acutely aware of
> nitpicky inaccuracies with the presentation (though I do know that robot
> always approaches kitten from the same direction -- an important regression
> to beware of!).

Forgot about that; fixed.

Updated source is here:

http://alexeyt.freeshell.org/code/rfk/rfk-20050902.tgz