[rfk-dev] Re: licensing

Peter Gordon pete@shagged.org
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 23:04:37 +0000

Hi,

> Another subject to consider is licensing. I don't fully understand the
> technicalities of the issue, but as I understand it, it's technically
> feasible for reimplementations of rfk to be under a license other than
> the GPL.

AFAIK, the messages themselves have been released as GPL, and therefore must
be redistributed as GPL unless the original authors grant you a new license.
I released the Amiga re-implementation as fully public domain, but
fortunately the messages are in an external file, which means it should still
be considered GPL.

> Is this still true of the messages file is statically compiled in?

I think if its compiled in, the executable file contains GPL code, and
therefore must be released under the GPL license.

(i sent this direct to Peter, but I meant to send it to the list. Most lists
set a reply-to header back to the list, but this one doesn't seem to... ?! )

Cheers,
Pete