[rfk-dev] GLUT progress, or lack thereof

Jeremy Penner jeremypenner@shaw.ca
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:28:25 -0600

Here's the deal:
robotfindskitten3d runs using GLUT.  It does not, however, have text.
This is because I do not properly understand OpenGL, and the way text
is currently rendered is only really possible under the Win32 API
(with the possible exception of using something like FreeType, but I
didn't want to get into more dependencies; if I want to link against
seven billion different libraries, I'll start on the SDL port, thank
you.)  So to properly draw text, one must rewrite the text engine,
and that requires an understanding of OpenGL which I do not possess.
I tried randomly half-assing my way through it, but unfortunately
that did not work even slightly.

So, I've decided to officially give up the GLUT port; if anyone is
interested in finishing it off, you can grab it from
http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umpenne5/ .

Oh, and also there may be a bug in my texture loading code, as the
heart seems to be bright blue, but that might just be the stupid 256
colour Sun terminal I had to put up with to develop the thing.  I
think all of the other textures have the correct colours, so it's
probably just some bit in the bitmap header that says, "Actually, I'm
two bytes bigger than usual."

Jeremy----
Jeremy Penner - Coder, Artist, Jibba-Jabberin' Fool
jeremypenner@shaw.ca            - The Man
http://www.mp3.com/lal          - The Band
http://bubba.keenspace.com/     - The Comic Strip
http://www.astra.mb.ca/~jeremy/ - The Other Stuff