[rfk-dev] rfk favicon

Neale Pickett neale@debian.org
21 Feb 2002 09:08:49 -0800

"Peter A. Peterson II" <pedro@tastytronic.net> writes:

> Quoting Neale Pickett:
> > > Just rename it! It's great! favicon.png becomes favicon.ico
> >
> > You're serving up a PNG file with a content-type of text/plain and a
> > .ico extension.  So you're basically relying on magic in the browser.
> > You should at least fix the content-type, but IE is notorious for
> > ignoring content-type altogether and looking at the extension (or file
> > magic).  Does your little trick work with IE?  I don't have a winderz
> > box nearby to try it out.
>
> Ah ha. You're a smart guy. It *doesn't* work in IE 5, and I haven't
> installed IE 6 yet to try it. Where would I change the content type
> stuff, and what should it be changed to?

Your server claims to be Apache, so just add this line to
/etc/apache/srm.conf:

  AddType image/png .ico

Of course, that's going to apply to *all* .ico files you have, but who
uses ico files?

(Actually Windows Icon files are pretty unique in that you can store
multiple images at different resolutions and color depths within a
single file.  Remember when color depth used to be an issue?)