[rfk-dev] Proposed extensions to HTTP to support remote kitten-finding

Martin Pool mbp@samba.org
Wed, 23 May 2001 14:07:58 +1000

On 22 May 2001, "Peter A. Peterson II" <pedro@tastytronic.net> wrote:

> If I wanted to run this on a remote box (kathleen.zork.net) for
> robotfindskitten.org, how would I go about making the cgi version?
> (Note: I'm definitely inexperienced in this sort of thing.)

I think that if you run

  $ ./autogen.sh
  $ ./configure
  $ make

in the source directory, then you will be left with a program called
src/robotfindskitten.cgi.  This is not installed by default since web
server configurations vary so widely.  Basically you need to copy that
into a directory that your web server is configured to treat as a
source for CGIs.  On Debian, this might be /usr/lib/cgi-bin/.
Remember it must be mode 555 after installation.  If it doesn't work,
check the web server error log (e.g. /var/log/apache/errors.log).

The CGI is self-contained: no other configuration or databases are
required.  If you move it to a machine different from the one on which
it was compiled, you might have shared library problems.  In this case
the simplest solution is to make it statically linked:

  $ ./configure --disable-shared
  $ make clean all

Also, if you could put this email into doc/how-to-run-cgi or something
that would be helpful.

Happy hacking!
--
Martin