[rfk-dev] cvs conflict

Nick Moffitt nick@zork.net
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 11:38:10 -0800

begin  Peter A. Peterson II quotation:
> I added about 17 new nki and fixed a few others (with bad links,
> wording, etc), as well as worked on http://robotfindskitten.org/
> (lukas and I have some cool, cool ideas.).

	Cool!  We should work out a version numbering scheme.  I want
to try some autoconf tricks so that the tags like the version number
and package name need to be entered in the configure.in only.

> Anyway, when i tried to cvs ci, I got a conflict for
> doc/robotfindskitten.info, and it said to resolve it before trying
> to commit. Not sure what to do.

	Ack, that's another object file, and doesn't belong in the CVS
repository.  So do this:

	(from the root, as in the dir that has the configure script
and stuff)

	rm -f doc/robotfindskitten.info
	cvs remove doc/robotfindskitten.info
	cvs ci -m "removing documentation object file from tree"

> Nick, what's the protocol for that?

	In general, a conflict will leave >>>>>> and <<<<<< markers
showing the two pieces that cannot be resolved.  The protocol is
really just to talk with the person who made the conflicting change
and work out how to fix the file before checking it back in.  If you
get a conflict, you hold the patch pumpkin and should get the other
author to not commit anything until you've committed and he's done an
update.

> Also, the robotfindskitten.info page mentions the nethack and emacs
> keys but doesn't mention q for quitting.

	Work that out with George, as he's the one who's been working
on that.

Pigdog.Org      - The Online Handbook for Bad People of the Future

                You are not entitled to your opinions.